Healing the gut can help almost every health complaint and in some cases the improvements are nothing short of remarkable.
The gut is a truly special organ. It not only digests food, but it is home to most of your immune system as well as trillions of bacteria.
Our guts have had a rough time of it in the last 50 years or so. Changes to the way we preserve food, antibiotics, environmental toxins, increased alcohol consumption, overly sterile homes, pesticides and stress have led to almost all of us having unbalanced gut micro biomes. Many scientists and doctors now believe that this change in gut health is driving modern diseases.
Often the warning signs are staring you in the face, but often we just ignore them. On my website I outline a host of symptoms (some more obvious than others), which point to unhealthy gut function. If you suffer from any of these symptoms then it’s time to take action.
Fully healing your gut can take a long time and should be done with the guidance of a health professional. However, below are some steps you can take right now which could have a profound effect on your health.
- Take a course of probiotics once a year (and also after taking antibiotics)
- Reduce your alcohol and caffeine consumption
- Take steps to reduce stress in your life
- Eat fresh and cook from scratch. Avoid processed foods wherever possible and include some raw prebiotic foods (leeks, artichokes, onions, dandelion leaves and bananas) most days.
- Eat organic or thoroughly clean fruit and vegetables
- Try to constantly top up your probiotics by consuming kefir drinks, kimchi, sauerkraut, live yoghurts and kombucha.
- Drink green tea.
WARNING: SOME PEOPLE’S GUTS ARE SEVERELY COMPROMISED. IF CHANGING YOUR DIET TO INCLUDE SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE LEADS TO STOMACH PAIN, DIARRHEA, CONSTIPATION, EXCESS GAS OR NAUSEA THEN I RECOMMEND YOU STOP AND CONSULT A QUALIFIED NUTRITIONIST.